2017 Mazda CX-5
2017 Mazda CX-5
HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda-Motor-Corporation began accepting orders for the all-new Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV today at Mazda dealerships throughout Japan. Sales are scheduled to begin on Feb. 2, 2017 and the company aims to sell 2,400 units per month domestically.
All-new Mazda 2017 refined every element of its design and technology to bring a new dimension of driving pleasure to the all-new Mazda CX-5 - one both drivers and passengers will appreciate.
Working under a theme of "refined toughness", Mazda designers challenged themselves to elevate the KODO-Soul of Motion design concept to a new level. The exterior is both bold and sensual, and enhancements to the interior have been made with passenger comfort in mind. A new color available for the first time on the all-new Mazda CX-5 2017, Soul Red Crystal was created specifically to highlight the beauty and quality of Mazda's KODO designs.
Featuring G-Vectoring Control, the first in the SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS*1 series of vehicle motion control technologies, the model offers drivers responsive performance and passengers a quiet and comfortable ride. Big advances in safety and the human machine interface include the adoption of Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go. This feature, available in a Mazda model in Japan for the first time, works up to 100 kilometers/h and can bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
All-new Mazda CX-5 2017 Overview
- The exterior design is rugged with an element of seduction. A single expression of motion runs from front to rear, conveying a sense of speed and the car's physique emphasizes its stance and look of forward momentum. The deceptively simple form is crafted for exquisite reflections and design details feature a chiseled look throughout.
- A simple trapezoidal form and increasing both the front and rear track width by 10 millimeters over the previous model emphasizes a powerful stance. A more prominent signature wing underscores the grille and extends below the headlights, expressing breadth and power.
- Mazda's brand symbol stands out from a grille that adopts a detailed three-dimensional pattern, expressing depth and a sporty character.
- The new Soul Red Crystal takes the emotional and energetic vibrancy of Soul Red to a new level, combining clear depths with lustrous highlights. Eight body colors are available, including Machine Gray.
- The cockpit wraps around the driver with controls and meters laid out symmetrically. Air-conditioning louvers are positioned in line with the decorative trim that runs across the dash and extends into the door trim. All of these elements flow horizontally from the center of the steering wheel, creating a space with a dynamic sense of breadth that encourages the driver to focus on the road.
- The decorative panel uses a newly developed film that combines twelve printed layers and a final coat to create a fresh expression of depth that cannot be achieved with wood or metal.*2
- Mounting side demisters and tweeters*3 within the A pillars helps realize a clean design.
- With the seats, thick cushioning and the three-dimensional form of the bolsters and shoulder areas express toughness and stability befitting an SUV. Great care was taken in fabrication and stitching to realize a high-quality fit and finish.
- Customers can select from three available interior packages: pure white or black leather and black fabric.*4Different colors above and below the dash emphasize a sense of unity with the car and the roominess of the interior.
Packaging designed for the comfort of all passengers
Cabin comfort and functionality makes every drives a delight for passengers as well as the driver.
- At any given speed, noise levels in the cabin of the all-new Mazda CX-5 2017 are equivalent to those at about 20 kilometers/h slower in the previous model. Low frequency road noise, especially on course road surfaces, is reduced with parts designed to minimize vibrations and detailed measures to control vibrations that do occur. Wind and tire noise at high speeds is reduced by minimizing turbulence around the body and blocking the infiltration of high-frequency tire noise into the cabin.
New seats reduce fatigue and make driving more fun:
- The front seats adopt suspension mats that disperse pressure evenly and the rigidity of different parts of the seatback has been optimized for maximum support, enhancing comfort and peace of mind. High-damping urethane foam in the seat cushion transmits necessary vibrations for feedback but cuts those that cause discomfort.
- The rear seat recline angle has been increased 2 degrees over the original model and they adopt a two-step reclining mechanism for the first time.
Practicality and ease of use:
- The 505-l. (DIN, with subtrunk) cargo area can accommodate three large 72cm suitcases or four golf bags, even when the rear seats are in use.
- The power liftgate*5 can be opened and closed with switches near the driver's seat, on the key fob and on the liftgate itself. It uses a simple, lightweight and compact spindle damper unit which can be set to open the gate to any height. Touch sensors on both sides of the liftgate reduce the chances of hands and items getting caught in the gate as it closes.
Driving performance offers a deeper experience of Jinba-Ittai
In an effort to offer driving pleasure everybody in the car can enjoy, ride comfort, refinements to powertrains, handling, and NVH combine to achieve lively and pleasant performance as well as passenger comfort.
- The SKYACTIV-D 2.2-l. clean diesel engine now offers smoother and quieter performance, thanks to High-Precision DE Boost Control, which provides more direct acceleration response, Natural Sound Smoother, which reduces diesel knock sound and Natural Sound Frequency Control, which suppresses knock sound at the source.
- The pistons in the SKYACTIV-G 2.5-l. gasoline engine now features asymmetrical oil rings that optimize the thickness of the oil film on the cylinder wall, reducing mechanical friction and contributing to improved real-world fuel economy performance.
- The SKYACTIV-G 2.0-l. gasoline engine combines a 13.0:1 compression ratio, cavity pistons and a 4-2-1 exhaust system to realize outstanding efficiency and powerful torque in the low- to mid-range.
- The SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission adopts a new shift control scheme that monitors factors such as vehicle speed, throttle position and engine rpms to understand the driver's intentions, reduce unnecessary shifting out of corners and realize smoother vehicle behavior.
- G-Vectoring Control, the first technology in the SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS series, is standard equipment across model grades. This vehicle motion control technology adjusts torque in response to steering input, providing integrated control of lateral and longitudinal acceleration forces to realize smooth and efficient behavior.
- In addition to a column-mounted electric power steering system, the new Mazda CX-5 2017 adopts rigid steering mounts that enhance response and steering rigidity.
- The suspension system employees MacPherson struts in the front and multi-link suspension in the rear.
- Ventilated and solid disc brakes are used in the front and rear respectively.
- Light and strong ultra-high-tensile steel is used in several new locations, including the A pillars and side-sills, and the latest CAE analysis was used to identify effective reinforcement points. Torsional rigidity is improved 15.5 percent over previous model, reducing flex that would other slow response to steering inputs.
The all-new Mazda CX-5 2017 features an organ-style accelerator pedal and enables an optimized driving position in line with all recent Mazda models. The steering wheel faces the driver squarely and pedals are positioned where the driver naturally extends his or her legs.
The shift lever is positioned 60 millimeters higher than in the previous model, improving operability and making it easier to move a hand between it and the steering wheel.
Advances in safety and the HMI (Human Machine Interface)
Advances in both active and passive safety and the enhanced legibility of the HMI support the driver's enjoyment and peace of mind in any driving environment.
- An Active Driving Display that projects information on the windscreen is available in a Mazda in the Japanese market for the first time.
- The new seven-in. center display, which suppresses reflections and presents a clearer image, is now mounted atop the dashboard.
- Improving the layout of various indicators and the adoption of a 4.6-in. color LCD multi-display*6 makes it easier to read meters at a glance.
- MRCC (Mazda Radar Cruise Control) is now capable of following the vehicle in front from a standing stop to speeds up to 100 kilometers/h. (Previous minimum operation speed was 30 kilometers/h)
- Adaptive LED Headlights now use a monocular unit divided into 12 LED blocks.
- Advanced SCBS (Advanced Smart City Brake Support) can now detect pedestrians in addition to vehicles and other obstacles, and TSR (Traffic Sign Recognition) detects speed limit, no entry and stop signs and displays them in the Active Driving Display.